Sightful Invest
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
Top Posts
Thune guarantees voter ID bill to hit the...
GOP reaches key 50-vote threshold for Trump-backed voter...
DHS shutdown drags into 4th day as Senate...
US nuclear testing debate reignites after State Dept...
LIZ PEEK: At Munich showdown AOC serves word...
Rev Jesse Jackson, civil rights leader and Rainbow...
Trump hammers AOC Munich stumbles as ‘not a...
Psaki joins Democrat push for Epstein files after...
Iran signals nuclear progress in Geneva as Trump...
Russia sentences American to 4 years for allegedly...
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock

Sightful Invest

Politics

Federal judge temporarily blocks shutdown of US-funded radio network

by admin March 26, 2025
March 26, 2025
Federal judge temporarily blocks shutdown of US-funded radio network

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., temporarily blocked the shutdown of a U.S.-funded radio network. 

U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth, who was appointed by former President Ronald Reagan, granted a temporary restraining order on the shutdown of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL), a non-profit news organization originally founded in the 1950s by the Central Intelligence Agency to broadcast behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War. 

Congress later began funding RFE/RL in the 1970s to promote democracy across the globe. 

The judge found Kari Lake, the longtime Arizona broadcaster and unsuccessful gubernatorial and Senate candidate tapped to oversee the U.S. Agency for Global Media, likely violated federal law in moving to slash RFE/RFL’s funding in line with President Donald Trump’s agenda to eliminate government waste. 

The U.S. Agency for Global Media houses Radio Free Europe and Asia, as well as Voice of America and Radio Marti in Cuba. 

‘RFE/RL has, for decades, operated as one of the organizations that Congress has statutorily designated to carry out this policy,’ Lamberth wrote. ‘The leadership of USAGM cannot, with one sentence of reasoning offering virtually no explanation, force RFE/RL to shut down—even if the President has told them to do so.’

Trump signed an executive order earlier this month aimed at dismantling U.S.-funded media organizations. A senior White House official told Fox News Digital at the time that Voice of America ‘has been out of step with America for years.’

‘It serves as the Voice for Radical America and has pushed divisive propaganda for years now,’ the official said. 

The executive order, which targets seven offices, including the U.S. Agency for Global Media, said ‘non-statutory components and functions of the following governmental entities shall be eliminated to the maximum extent consistent with applicable law, and such entities shall reduce the performance of their statutory functions and associated personnel to the minimum presence and function required by law.’ 

RFE/RFL sued in federal court, saying that the administration immediately froze nearly $7.5 million in funding already appropriated by Congress. The Justice Department wrote in court documents on Monday that the disbursement was underway and proof of payment would come by Wednesday. 

Voice of America Director Michael Abramowitz wrote on X that ‘virtually’ the whole 1300-person staff was placed on leave. 

In a court hearing Monday, Justice Department lawyer Abby Stout argued that RFE/RL has no grounds for a restraining order given the U.S. government would disburse the nearly $7.5 million. The plaintiff’s lawyer, Thomas Brugato, said the disbursement was only a temporary fix and the non-profit could expect widespread layoffs and to close by April if funding doesn’t continue.

‘It’s really a Band-Aid,’ Brugato said in court, according to The Hill. 

In his order, Lamberth said RFE/RL ‘was originally conceived of in the 1950s as a vehicle for providing trustworthy, locally relevant news to audiences subject to communist propaganda.’ 

‘Since its inception, RFE/RL has continued to expand, responding to threats to democracy and media freedom across the globe,’ the judge wrote, later concluding, ‘The Court concludes, in keeping with Congress’s longstanding determination, that the continued operation of RFE/RL is in the public interest.’

Separately, a lawsuit was brought Friday by Voice of America reporters, Reporters Without Borders and a handful of unions in U.S. District Court in New York against the U.S. Agency for Global Media and Kari Lake over efforts to shut them down. 

Fox News’ Emma Colton contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

previous post
23andMe Collapses: DNA Testing Giant Files for Bankruptcy, CEO Resigns
next post
Trump team’s Signal snafu sparks debate over secure comms: ‘Russia and China are listening’

You may also like

Waltz doubles down on Hegseth praise amid ongoing...

April 28, 2025

SCOOP: House Republicans link Mayor-elect Mamdani to vulnerable...

November 5, 2025

Trump praises Elon Musk as ‘patriot, a brilliant...

April 24, 2025

EPA urged to axe funds for ‘radical’ climate...

August 27, 2025

‘Instincts for restraint’: Senate divided over who gets...

June 19, 2025

South Korea presidential ouster part of Chinese strategy...

April 5, 2025

Harris rapidly consolidates Democrats’ support, and here’s what...

August 2, 2024

Hawley clashes with UPenn law professor over judicial...

June 4, 2025

Top pro-life groups reveal agenda for second Trump...

November 10, 2024

Cruz targets Minnesota-style fraud with bill requiring proof...

February 13, 2026

Recent Posts

  • Thune guarantees voter ID bill to hit the Senate despite Schumer, Dem opposition: ‘We will have a vote’
  • GOP reaches key 50-vote threshold for Trump-backed voter ID bill as Senate fight looms
  • DHS shutdown drags into 4th day as Senate Democrats block funding over ICE reforms
  • US nuclear testing debate reignites after State Dept alleges China nuclear test
  • LIZ PEEK: At Munich showdown AOC serves word salad as Rubio channels strength

    Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest insights, updates, and exclusive content straight to your inbox! Whether it's industry news, expert advice, or inspiring stories, we bring you valuable information that you won't find anywhere else. Stay connected with us!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Categories

    • Business (976)
    • Investing (4,127)
    • Politics (4,985)
    • Stock (4)
    • About us
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: sightfulinvest.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 Sightful Invest. All Rights Reserved.