Sightful Invest
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
Top Posts
Thune guarantees voter ID bill to hit the...
GOP reaches key 50-vote threshold for Trump-backed voter...
DHS shutdown drags into 4th day as Senate...
US nuclear testing debate reignites after State Dept...
LIZ PEEK: At Munich showdown AOC serves word...
Rev Jesse Jackson, civil rights leader and Rainbow...
Trump hammers AOC Munich stumbles as ‘not a...
Psaki joins Democrat push for Epstein files after...
Iran signals nuclear progress in Geneva as Trump...
Russia sentences American to 4 years for allegedly...
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock

Sightful Invest

Politics

Senate confirms Trump pick to lead independent Nuclear Regulatory Commission

by admin July 29, 2025
July 29, 2025
Senate confirms Trump pick to lead independent Nuclear Regulatory Commission

The Senate confirmed its first nominee of the week ahead of what is expected to be a jam-packed schedule to ram through as many of President Donald Trump’s picks as possible.

David A. Wright, Trump’s pick to lead the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) for a five-year term, was confirmed in the upper chamber on a 50to 39 vote on Monday. It’s not Wright’s first time as chair of the commission, having first served in the role beginning in 2020.

Trump had previously tapped Wright during his first term, and again selected him to lead the NRC earlier this year. His new term is set to end in 2030.

The NRC is an independent regulatory agency tasked with regulating commercial nuclear power plants, reactor licensing and renewal and other elements related to protecting public health and safety when it comes to nuclear energy. Wright’s confirmation comes on the heels of Trump’s announcement that the U.S. and European Union were entering a trade deal that would see the bloc purchase $750 billion of U.S. energy over the next three years. 

While the commission is independent from other arms of the government, Senate Democrats have balked at recent attempts to make the regulatory body, in their view, more partisan.

Earlier this year, Trump signed an executive order that demanded the agency consider making its safety standards less stringent, shortening the timelines for environmental reviews and a quadrupling of the nation’s nuclear power capacity by 2050: all part of the president’s quest to ensure America’s energy dominance. 

Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Chair Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.V., argued that over the last seven years that Wright has been a part of the commission, first as a commissioner beginning in 2018 and then as chair, he would fulfill the president’s wishes. 

‘Achieving this will require experienced and highly qualified Commissioners who are empowered to lead the Agency through a period of high expectations,’ she said in a statement. ‘Well, David Wright meets that mark.’

Then Trump fired a Democratic member of the commission last month, and a staffer from the president’s Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) was reportedly detailed from the Department of Energy to the regulatory agency.  

That prompted Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, the top Democrat on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, to warn of a ‘hostile takeover’ of the commission by the Energy Department.

The move hurt what began as bipartisan support for Wright’s nomination — Whitehouse initially backed him but changed his position.

‘I hoped to see Chairman Wright rise to the occasion, but circumstances right now at the NRC continue to deteriorate,’ he said in a statement. ‘I cannot presently support his renomination.’

Still, Wright’s confirmation is a win for both Senate Republicans and the White House after Trump called on the Senate GOP to ram his nominees through blockades set up by Senate Democrats.

There are now over 140 pending ‘civilian’ nominations for positions across the gauntlet of federal agencies, ambassadorships and judgeships. The Senate has moved at a blistering clip over the last six months to confirm nominees—they’ve clocked nearly 100 so far — the president has called on Senate Republicans to consider canceling the forthcoming August break to get more done. 

Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., warned that if his colleagues across the aisle continued to slow walk the process in the upper chamber for the slew of remaining ‘uncontroversial’ nominees, or be prepared to stick around Washington. 

‘Or they can rein in their reflexive anti-Trump sentiment and allow some of his rank-and-file nominees to proceed by unanimous consent or voice vote — just as Republicans did when the roles were reversed,’ he said. ‘And I’d remind my colleagues about the dangerous and ugly precedent that they’re setting here. But the choice is theirs. But whether it’s the slow way or the fast way, we’re getting President Trump’s nominees confirmed.’

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

previous post
Bondi DOJ files complaint alleging misconduct by Federal Judge James Boasberg
next post
Key Trump nominees stalled by Senate Dems puts pressure on GOP leaders

You may also like

Trump made a bold move to bring Mideast...

September 15, 2024

Vance rips Harris for questioning his loyalty to...

July 28, 2024

Medical groups urge Kennedy, FDA to reexamine broad...

July 8, 2025

Trump’s ‘nuclear’ demand not landing for Senate Republicans...

November 1, 2025

From ‘legislative terrorists’ to center of Trump’s DC...

September 8, 2025

President-elect Trump appoints three key positions in White...

November 26, 2024

What are election betting odds? Expert explains why...

October 22, 2024

Walz blasted for huddling with George Soros’ son...

September 26, 2024

Sen. Mike Lee warns Democrats would ‘Rule America...

November 4, 2024

Rubio just got an additional job in Trump’s...

May 9, 2025

Recent Posts

  • Thune guarantees voter ID bill to hit the Senate despite Schumer, Dem opposition: ‘We will have a vote’
  • GOP reaches key 50-vote threshold for Trump-backed voter ID bill as Senate fight looms
  • DHS shutdown drags into 4th day as Senate Democrats block funding over ICE reforms
  • US nuclear testing debate reignites after State Dept alleges China nuclear test
  • LIZ PEEK: At Munich showdown AOC serves word salad as Rubio channels strength

    Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest insights, updates, and exclusive content straight to your inbox! Whether it's industry news, expert advice, or inspiring stories, we bring you valuable information that you won't find anywhere else. Stay connected with us!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Categories

    • Business (976)
    • Investing (4,127)
    • Politics (4,985)
    • Stock (4)
    • About us
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: sightfulinvest.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 Sightful Invest. All Rights Reserved.