Sightful Invest
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
Top Posts
Rubio meets with Zelenskyy ahead of crucial Geneva...
Rubio meets with Zelenskyy ahead of crucial Geneva...
AG Pam Bondi announces ‘all’ Epstein files have...
Rubio defends US operation in Venezuela, calls out...
Waltz calls UN a ‘cesspool for antisemitism’ as...
Trump announces $5 billion pledge in Gaza aid...
The one sentence in Rubio’s Munich speech that...
Doctors Without Borders reduces operations at Gaza hospital...
Editor’s Picks: Gold, Silver Prices Dip and Bounce...
Texas Dem Senate primary fractures over race rhetoric...
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock

Sightful Invest

Business

Judge tosses defamation suit against Fox News by head of dismantled disinformation board

by admin July 24, 2024
July 24, 2024
Judge tosses defamation suit against Fox News by head of dismantled disinformation board

A defamation suit against Fox News by a government official who served on a short-lived U.S. government media disinformation board was dismissed Monday by a federal judge.

The lawsuit from Nina Jankowicz alleged that Fox News had defamed her on numerous occasions, leading to waves of online attacks and threats of violence after the formation of the Disinformation Governance Board, where she served as a director.

In May of 2022, just weeks after its launch, the Department of Homeland Security paused the board’s work and accepted Jankowicz’s resignation. The board was officially dissolved and its charter rescinded in August of that same year.

In rejecting Jankowicz’s claims, the judge said that 36 of the 37 statements made on Fox News programs were about the disinformation board and not Jankowicz. The judge ruled that the remaining statement — which was also a reference to the board and not Jankowicz, despite showing an image of her as it was said — was not disinformation because it was a factual statement that matched the wording in the board’s own charter describing its purpose.

“This was a politically motivated lawsuit aimed at silencing free speech and we are pleased with the court’s decision to protect the First Amendment,” Fox News said.

The disinformation board was launched by the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to counter disinformation coming from Russia as well as misleading information that human smugglers circulate to target migrants hoping to travel to the U.S.-Mexico border.

Dozens of Republican lawmakers and conservative pundits took to social media immediately after the board’s launch, calling for it to be disbanded. They described the board as an Orwellian body that could be used to suppress free speech.

In April of last year, Fox News agreed to pay Dominion Voting Systems nearly $800 million to avert a trial in the voting machine company’s lawsuit that would have exposed how the network promoted lies about the 2020 presidential election.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

previous post
S&P 500 climbs for best day since early June as Nvidia shares lead tech turnaround
next post
Bissell recalls 3.2 million handheld steam cleaners after scores of burn injury reports

You may also like

U.S. judge finds Google holds illegal online ad...

April 19, 2025

UnitedHealthcare taps company veteran Tim Noel as new...

January 25, 2025

OpenAI considering 16 states for data center campuses...

February 8, 2025

White House accuses Powell of mismanaging Federal Reserve,...

July 11, 2025

The war on woke: How a gay rights...

December 4, 2024

Dell family donation to offer 25 million kids...

December 3, 2025

Prebiotic soda brand Olipop valued at $1.85 billion...

February 13, 2025

Dow tumbles more than 600 points after weak...

August 6, 2024

Pfizer CEO says tariff uncertainty is deterring further...

May 1, 2025

Elon Musk, Tesla, Warner Bros. Discovery sued over...

October 23, 2024

Recent Posts

  • Rubio meets with Zelenskyy ahead of crucial Geneva talks as he says Trump wants solution that ‘ends bloodshed’
  • Rubio meets with Zelenskyy ahead of crucial Geneva talks, says Trump wants solution that ‘ends bloodshed’
  • AG Pam Bondi announces ‘all’ Epstein files have been released, listing over 300 high-profile names
  • Rubio defends US operation in Venezuela, calls out reporter for trying to start a fight
  • Waltz calls UN a ‘cesspool for antisemitism’ as Trump administration pushes major reforms

    Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest insights, updates, and exclusive content straight to your inbox! Whether it's industry news, expert advice, or inspiring stories, we bring you valuable information that you won't find anywhere else. Stay connected with us!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Categories

    • Business (976)
    • Investing (4,115)
    • Politics (4,965)
    • Stock (4)
    • About us
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: sightfulinvest.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 Sightful Invest. All Rights Reserved.