Sightful Invest
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock
Top Posts
Rubio meets with Zelenskyy ahead of crucial Geneva...
Rubio meets with Zelenskyy ahead of crucial Geneva...
AG Pam Bondi announces ‘all’ Epstein files have...
Rubio defends US operation in Venezuela, calls out...
Waltz calls UN a ‘cesspool for antisemitism’ as...
Trump announces $5 billion pledge in Gaza aid...
The one sentence in Rubio’s Munich speech that...
Doctors Without Borders reduces operations at Gaza hospital...
Editor’s Picks: Gold, Silver Prices Dip and Bounce...
Texas Dem Senate primary fractures over race rhetoric...
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • Stock

Sightful Invest

Politics

3 Americans in Congo sentenced to death after coup attempt

by admin September 14, 2024
September 14, 2024
3 Americans in Congo sentenced to death after coup attempt

Three American citizens have been sentenced to death in Congo after being convicted on charges of participating in a coup attempt, with one telling a court that his father — who led the failed effort — ‘had threatened to kill us if we did not follow his orders.’ 

A lawyer representing 21-year-olds Marcel Malanga and Tyler Thompson Jr. and 36-year-old Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun, is now planning to appeal the verdict following the botched attack orchestrated by Malanga’s father, Christian Malanga, in May that targeted the presidential palace and a close ally of President Felix Tshisekedi. 

‘We have seen that a military court in the Democratic Republic of Congo sentenced a number of defendants, including U.S. citizens, to death for alleged involvement in the May 19th attacks against the government,’ State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said Friday. ‘We understand that the legal process in the DRC allows for defendants to appeal the court’s decision. Embassy staff have been attending these proceedings … We’ll continue to attend the proceedings and follow the developments closely.’ 

When asked if he thought the court process was fair, Miller responded, ‘I don’t want to pass judgment on the proceedings so far, because we are still in the middle of the legal process.’ 

Six people were killed during the botched coup attempt, including Christian Malanga, who was fatally shot while resisting arrest soon after live-streaming the attack on his social media, the Congolese army said. 

Marcel Malanga, who is a U.S. citizen, told a court during the case that his father had forced him and his high school friend to take part in the attack, according to The Associated Press. 

‘Dad had threatened to kill us if we did not follow his orders,’ Marcel Malanga reportedly said. 

Other members of the ragtag militia recounted similar threats from the elder Malanga, and some described being duped into believing they were working for a volunteer organization, the AP adds. Marcel’s mother, Brittney Sawyer, maintains that her son is innocent and was simply following his father, who considered himself president of a shadow government in exile. 

Thompson Jr. flew to Africa from Utah with the younger Malanga for what his family believed was a free vacation, and Zalman-Polun is reported to have known Christian Malanga through a gold mining company. 

Thompson’s family says he had no knowledge of the elder Malanga’s intentions, no plans for political activism and didn’t even plan to enter Congo. He and the Malangas were meant to travel only to South Africa and Eswatini, his stepmother, Miranda Thompson, told the AP. 

‘We urge all who have supported Tyler and the family throughout this process to write to your congressmen and request their assistance in bringing him home,’ their lawyer in Utah, Skye Lazaro, said to the news agency, adding that the family is heartbroken over the verdict. 

Sen. Mike Lee and a spokesperson for Sen. Mitt Romney said they are both engaged with the State Department over the matter. 

In addition to the three Americans, a Briton, a Belgian and a Canadian were sentenced to death after being convicted of participating in the plot, along with 27 others. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

previous post
Federal Court of Australia Approves Transformational Acquisition of Base Resources
next post
Harris-Trump showdown: GOP chair vows ‘we absolutely have the resources’ to win in November

You may also like

Faye Hall, American detained by Taliban, has been...

March 30, 2025

Bill Barr transcript flies in face of Democrat...

September 16, 2025

Memorial service for assassinated Turning Point USA founder...

September 21, 2025

MIKE DAVIS: Trump’s latest pick to reform the...

September 20, 2025

Trump nominates Susan Monarez to become the next...

March 25, 2025

Emory fires Iranian official’s daughter after campus protests...

January 26, 2026

LIZ PEEK: AI layoffs could spark a socialist...

November 4, 2025

7 reasons to fear Kamala Harris’ radical ‘Medicare-for-all’...

August 20, 2024

Here are the key 2026 House and Senate...

January 2, 2026

US companies secure record $170B in global contracts...

September 30, 2025

Recent Posts

  • Rubio meets with Zelenskyy ahead of crucial Geneva talks as he says Trump wants solution that ‘ends bloodshed’
  • Rubio meets with Zelenskyy ahead of crucial Geneva talks, says Trump wants solution that ‘ends bloodshed’
  • AG Pam Bondi announces ‘all’ Epstein files have been released, listing over 300 high-profile names
  • Rubio defends US operation in Venezuela, calls out reporter for trying to start a fight
  • Waltz calls UN a ‘cesspool for antisemitism’ as Trump administration pushes major reforms

    Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest insights, updates, and exclusive content straight to your inbox! Whether it's industry news, expert advice, or inspiring stories, we bring you valuable information that you won't find anywhere else. Stay connected with us!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Categories

    • Business (976)
    • Investing (4,115)
    • Politics (4,965)
    • Stock (4)
    • About us
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: sightfulinvest.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 Sightful Invest. All Rights Reserved.